Real Life Testimonial: Ben’s Recovery From Lyme Disease and how diet helped

A story of recovery from Lyme disease through diet
Ben wrote a fitness column for a newspaper out of college, and I’d always prided myself an example of robust health. He lost his health in his twenties, and, in an all-out attempt to regain it, set off down a path that would take him through just about every medical and dietary paradigm imaginable.
In this case, catastrophe struck in the form of a tick bite that I never new I had. – It took dozens of doctors and several years of debilitating symptoms before he received a diagnosis of late-stage, Neurological Lyme disease (an ever increasing epidemic that half the medical community claims doesn’t exist). – And once I did find a “lyme literate” MD, who believed that my crippling fatigue, migrating pain, bouts of paralysis, and multiple brain lesions might be something more then a psychosomatic response, his only solution was to soak me in a steady stream of oral, Intra-muscular, and Intravenous antibiotics for 3 years straight; after which time it not only innihilated my gut flora, but also forced the Lyme-bacteria deeper into my cells where it was effectively blocked from further treatment by a thick layer of systemic candida overgrowth. (eating a “clean” detoxifying vegan diet of fruits nuts and whole grains, in retrospect, was the worst thing I could’ve been doing during this whole time) Yup – at age 26, too weak to walk the length of a city block, and too brain-fogged to tie my own shoos (seriously), I considered myself pretty much screwed.
It wasn’t until after I went strict paleo for a year that my candida levels eventually came down to a point where I could successfully get through to, and treat the Lyme using gentle homeopathic methods that, when implemented in the right context (low-carb paleo diet) have proven to be incredibly successful!
So, yes, you may now say that the paleo diet even played a major role in rescuing someone from the depths of the rabbit hole that is the world of chronic Lyme – but, honestly, what helped me the most is the confidence I gained to pursue my own path toward health no matter what!
The world of chronic Lyme is fraught with taboos, politics, and pre-conceived notions of treatment.  Never give up and ask all the essential questions in the face of dogmatic medical practices and demand answers; to be skeptical about everything and never settle when  health is at stake until a way is found that works.. and ultimately, save your own life.

No comments :

Make Peace With Food

Amazon